Thursday, November 05, 2009

Yards Per Year

I saw an interesting thread on the Stash and Burn Ravelry group this morning. It pertains to how much we knit or crochet per year, and then how long it would take to knit up stash. The easy way to figure out yardage of knitting per year is by finished objects. So, obviously you could start a project one year and finish it another year. So it isn't a completely accurate formula, but kind of fun to figure out.

In 2007 I knit approximately 2000 yards.
In 2008 I knit 2373 yards.
So far in 2009 I have knit 7344 yards.

I have knit far more this year. I started and completed a sweater for me and a sweater for London. Also, I had started a sweater for each of us in previous years and finished them this year so that skews the numbers. I don't bother with the yardage on the appliques on the Itty Bitty Hats. That would probably add up if I counted it all, but it seems tedious to figure all of that out. Also, I'm looking at it as yarn I am using as opposed to actual stitches---because there are many times I rip back and re-knit.

I have been on a big finishing binge this year, so a lot of yardage is counting towards this year even though I actually knit the bulk of it in previous years. Anyhow, I thought it was pretty interesting to really think about how much yarn I am actually using.


No comments: